I have heard a lot about having a baby and the pain of giving birth but i disnt give thought too much about what comes afterwards, breastfeeding.
When I thought about breastfeeding I thought that it will not be a problem for me because nobody in my family had any problems with milk supply including my mother so I thought I will not have problems with it either.
While i was pregnant everybody is letting me know to prepare myself for the labor pain but nobody told me about the pain you will feel for breastfeeding. When i delivered my first baby he stayed in the nursery and was brought to me about 2-4 x a day for latching but they were giving him formula althoughout our 2 days stay in the hospital. The first time he was brought to me to latch was about an hour after he was delivered. He didn’t had any problem latching and i let him stay for about 1 hr for each breast which was the first mistake that i did because then my left nipple was so sore that i was afraid to put him back to latch because of the pain. Nobody told me I should only let him latch for about 15 min for each breast so as to not have your nipples sore. When we got home he was so hungry because my milk supply was not yet well stablished so i needed to give him formula once in a while and at the same time i tried to pump to help stablish my milk supply and also because i had sore nipples more on the right i offer my left boob more often which was another mistake because then my left boob was more atablished therfore had more milk and the right one doesn’t have as much. Also because I didn’t offer my left boob too much I developed mastitis* which have me also discomfort because of the pain and was cured by offering my right boob more often because if not i might need to undergo surgery to cure the mastitis.
So my advise to all mothers firstly is to prepare for the pain of breastfeeding. It’s not too much pain, don’t get me wrong, but it’s better to know than not. *the best time to stablish you milk supply is the first two days so try to breastfeed every 2 hrs and try to refrain from giving formula if possible because if baby is full he will not breastfeed which will not help your milk supply production. If you don’t have your baby with you like in my case because he stays in the nursery during the night, try to pump every 2 hrs, it helps the same as having your baby to latch. And with pumping its better to pump frequently with short intervals than pump longer time but just few seasions.
Comments
Post a Comment